Thursday, January 26, 2012

Do you think my son has PDD, PDD-NOS, or something similar?

My son is 2 years old (27 months). Up until February my son only said 2 words. He still only says a handful of words. He does not say them very good either. "Ma" "da" and "guga" for mom, dad, and grandma are the only things that he says clearly. I don't expect him to be saying anything very clear yet at his age, but it seems like everything he says is slurred and sounds the same. I have always worked with him and it was as if he did not even understand what I was doing. My mom is the only one that could get through to him. She is the only person that he will even hold eye contact with. He don't hold it for long, but alot longer than anyone else. The thing is, he don't even see my mom that often.



Anytime he is around other kids he never interacts with them. He don't want to play with them, talk to them, or anything. Occasionally if the kids are running around playing, he will run and laugh too, but he doesn't run with them. If another kid tries to play with him or talk to him, he either ignores them or panics. It's not a fit (trust me I have a 4 year old daughter that throws fits.) it is full blown panic, and when he ignores it's like he literally does not even know you are there. Even when we are at home doing a family activity such as painting, coloring, games, and crafts he does not interact with me, my husband, or my daughter.



Another thing, he does not play with toys. He gathers them up in baskets, purses, anything that he can carry them in. Then he will either carry them around, or he will take them out and put them in again. He will sit and do this for hours. He has a backpack that he carries little toys in and he always has to have it. He carries it around everywhere. I know that seems normal for a kid, but it is obsessively weird how he is with it. If anyone even looks at it he panics. And he always carries the same toys in it. I have emptied it in his toy box, and the next day he gets the same exact toys and puts them back in it. I can't believe he even remembers which toys were in it. I don't empty it anymore now cause I know it upsets him.



Another thing, he loves to go in the car, but when we go to a public place he usually freaks out. He'll scream and hit his head off stuff. Ever since he was a baby, me and my husband have always taken our kids places, he used to like it. When we are at other people's house's he usually does his own thing, then after about an hour or so he is crying and pointing to the door. He doesn't like having to interact with people and he doesn't like alot of noise or alot of things going on at once. I've heard of PDD kids having food allergies, and my son has diarrhea on a regular basis. He barely eats anymore. I know alot of this stuff seems like normal 2 year old problems, but it's the way he reacts and how extreme it is.



The positive things about him are that he is very affectionate and sweet. His facial expressions are very expressive. He likes to show me things for me to be proud of him. He has me kiss his boo boo's. He gets excited, happy, sad, mad, all normal emotions. He hugs and kisses people when we leave places. He is very snugly and loving. He also helps me pick up toys. I plan on getting him evaluated, I just want to hear some parent's advice and thoughts.Do you think my son has PDD, PDD-NOS, or something similar?
Yeah, the fun part, getting a diagnosis. ha ha.

I am not sure what state you are in, but in California, we have what is called Alta California Regional Offices. Their services are free and a good place to start for diagnostic evaluations and/or services.



If you want to go through your medical insurance, then have your pediatrician find a pediatric neurologist for your diagnosis. Believe me, I've been through the gamut, this is your best bet over trying to find a decent child psychologist and they usually specialize in autism spectrum and adhd.



Also, from what you are mentioning it sounds like he may have some sensory disorder issues. A pediatric occupational therapist is practically a miracle worker when it comes to working w/ children w/ sensory disorder, autism spectrum, aspergers, adhd, etc.



It took a while to find the right support for my son.(On the cusp between adhd and aspergers) It is not an easy road to follow, but wow does it make a difference. And good for you for looking out for him and getting him some help early.Do you think my son has PDD, PDD-NOS, or something similar?
It sounds a little like autism. I would definitely recommend getting him evaluated because the sooner he is diagnosed (with whatever it may be) the sooner you can find ways to help him :)Do you think my son has PDD, PDD-NOS, or something similar?
Either you have kept him sheltered or you need to take him to a doctor. I can't believe that over all that time his doctor didn't notice this. Go to the doctor and try working with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment