Thursday, January 26, 2012

PDD-NOS - What to expect?

My 3-year old son was diagnosed PPD-NOS recently. He's being assigned a speech therapist and occupational therapist. I don't know anything beyond that... I'm supposed to just wait for someone to call me.



Can someone who has been through this before give me any information about what to expect? I'm hoping for in-home therapy, because I think it would be easier on my son, but I don't know if that type of thing is even available.PDD-NOS - What to expect?
PDD-NOS is basically a blanket diagnosis that admits that a child has multiple delays. It admits the delays, but also says that not enough of the "correct" symptoms are present for a diagnosis of autism or aspberger syndrome.



My son has PDD-NOS that is so mild that it was not identified until he was 11 years old. He is in mainstream classes at school with an aide for support in some classes. he is in an adventure boy scout troop, and volunteers at an american indian pow-wow near our home several times a year. Most people just think he is quirky, and adults generally love him. He is currently on 3 medications to control his psychiatric issues: Vyvanse for his ADHD, Risperdal for his viloent outbursts, and Tenex for the tics caused by his VYvanse.



If I were you I would try to locate a pediatric psychaitrist who specializes in autism spectrum disorders. The regular mental health center did not do much for my son. I felt like they had given me a diagnosis and that was it....no education what so ever. I finally got mad and got referrals from 2 people I know with autistic children. This man is great. The first appointment he spent 10 minutes just getting the history of all the meds my son had been on. He questioned the PDD diagnosis too. I told him that mental health had given the initial diagnosis and that the school had confirmed it without communicating with mental health. Once he read more of the chart he agreed with the diagnosis.



to make yourself understand a little more of how your child's mind works you might want to read a book called " a parents guide to asperger syndrome and high functioning autism : how to help your child thrive" it was a great resource for me. Since children with PDD-NOS also tend to have some sensory issues you might also want to read "the out of sync child". I found it to be interesting and informative.



Lastly, if have not already, contact your local MR/DD agency. there are funds available to your son for all kinds of things, and it does not go by income. My son has money for dr. co-pays, training, respite care (babysitter basically), therapy materials, zoo memberships, all kind of things.Feel free to e-mail me if you need to chat or vent
  • bikebandit
  • pdd nos
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment