Monday, January 23, 2012

Should I get a second opinion on my son's PDD-NOS Diagnosis?

My son had all the "classic" symptoms of Autism as a child 9 mo-4y/o. He was considered "scattered skilled" and "developmentally delayed". He had major communication delays. At about 4y/o my son began "waking" up, so to speak... his vocabulary was still low but, he would attempt to communicate. Thanks to our pedi, my son had early intervention that has helped him tremendously!! We still had communication and social issues so I decided to have my son officially tested. He was diagnosed as PDD-NOS (on the spectrum but high functioning). My son is currenty 6 and scores with a high IQ and can read and more advance than some of his peers, But he still has communication and social issues. He speaks clearly and if you're patient you can understand what my son is trying to convey, but he doesn't speak in full or complete sentences. His social skills are getting some what better due to curiousity but he still opts to play alone or not engage in peer play at all. We got a diagnosis, but I'm wondering if I should get a second opinion. His Dr. said if he didn't read he would have definately fell as a firm ASD diagnosis. I spent years helping my son, going to therapies every other day, reading books, educating myself on how to better help him. We've gotten this far but we still have issues to work on. Therapies are very expensive and the classes I want him to take are way out of my budget, I want to get a ASD diagnosis so I can get better insight on resources and possibly get more therapies as he gets older. I definately think we can knock this but I need more time and I have no idea where to go, where to look. I can handle helping him understand elementary aged curiculum but as he gets into higher grades I'm afraid I won't be able to help him. I'm stuck on what to do? Should I try for a second diagnosis...if I do, do I tell them he has already been diagnosed? He's such a great little guy I just want him to have a chance... he doesn't know anything is wrong, all the "check ups" were just to make sure he was growing up strong and healthy.Should I get a second opinion on my son's PDD-NOS Diagnosis?
You would probably benefit from an independent educational evaluation to determine his weaknesses and strengths. He already has a diagnosis PDD, which is autism, so I don't know that changing the diagnosis to "autism" will make a difference. Has he been evaluated on anything such as the ABLLS or the VB Map? There are assessments you can purchase that will help you better understand the areas he needs to work on. His school IEP should address these issues. When you sit down with the school you have to be able to identify his strengths and weaknesses. They will have people on staff to evaluate him, at least they should, but something done independent of the school would be helpful also.Should I get a second opinion on my son's PDD-NOS Diagnosis?
Unless there are services in your area that treat those with autism different than those with PDD, NOS, then I don't see it as as important. Most services I hear of treat PDD, NOS the same as autism. Also, I am not understanding how reading has anything to do with an autism diagnosis. Autism is deficits in language and social skills, not reading. One can be an advanced reader and have autism, or not read at all and have autism. I would get another evaluation just because that particular professional thinks reading defines an autism diagnosis. My children are recovered. I would continue to seek treatments. www.generationrescue.org is a great place to start. I like www.liafoundation.org, heidinotes.com and autism.com and Yahoo groups autism biomed forums. I know your child has progressed much, but unfortunately, the last 20% of symptoms seem to take a lot longer to be rid than the first 80%. Also, know that symptoms will fluctuate, return, etc. Recovery is long journey with lots of relapses. But, yes most that attempt do appear to succeed in getting their children into standard education classes. I have found that the more diagnoses, the more opportunity for services, but if getting more diagnoses will cost a lot, save your money for treatments.

No comments:

Post a Comment