Thursday, January 26, 2012

PDD-NOS diagnosis for 3 year old son?

My son is 3 now and was diagnosed at age 2. Is this considered severe or mild autism. He acts worse now than he did a year ago (hitting himself when he gets frustrated etc.)PDD-NOS diagnosis for 3 year old son?
Hi. In answer to your first question, Pdd-nos is what they use when it doesn't quite fit autism. Almost all the symptoms but not quite enough to fit the diagnostic criteria. It would be called an Autistic Spectrum Disorder. Some say that it's much higher functioning than autism, but I don't believe that's always the case. The "spectrum of autism" in my opinion has to do more with the severity of symptoms within the diagnostic criteria. A child with mild autism can be less affected than a child with severe pdd-nos for example.



In answer to your second question, even though it doesn't seem like it, this can be a good sign. He wants to communicate, for example, but can't. He gets frustrated and hits himself. If he's only doing it when frustrated, I would ignore it as much as possible, even though it is disturbing to see. Work on trying to understand and head off frustrating events. Start learning about social stories so he'll understand what's happening, and how to react.



A desire to communicate is HUGE when talking about a child with a spectrum disorder. Is he getting speech therapy? Are they working on any alternative communication skills like PECS or sign language. When my son, who had severe speech delays, started using sign language, his frustration level went down 10 fold. My daughter who has autism, also learned signs before speech. Reading also came first, and as I realized that, I put word labels on every surface in the house, to give objects names. It was easier for her to process written rather than spoken language.



I have to get ready for school now, but if you add me as a contact, you can go through my "best answers". I have alot of detailed answers on autism, and I"m sure you'll find some information in there that will be usefull to you. Good luck. PDD-NOS diagnosis for 3 year old son?
technically it is not autism...it is on the autism spectrum. This is a blanket diagnosis that admits a child has autism symptoms, but not enough in the right categories for a true diagnosis of autism or aspergers. I found this out when my then 11 year old was diagnosed. He is now 13 and mostly mainstreamed.



Is your son verbal? if he is not verbal the hitting himself could be b/c he is frustrated that he cannot communicate with you. My youngest is not on the spectrum ( as far as we know) but he does have oral-verbal apraxia. He could not speak until he was 2.5 years old. It broke my heart to see my toddler run and hide in a corner and bang his forehead with his hands in frustration. In my son's case sign language bridged that gap until the words came. I would ask your son's therapy team ( I assume he is either in preschool or EI of some sort) about what communication options are best for him. If ASL is not a good option than maybe a picture exchange system would work. That is where he has a small binder ring of pictures that he can show you when he wants/ needs something ( IE food, drink, toys, sleep, bathroom, etc).

No comments:

Post a Comment