Monday, January 30, 2012

Sonlight and mild autism / PDD-NOS?

I heard a lot about Sonlight and my older son (5) loves books . I am considering ordering it for the next school year . I was wondering if this curriculum would be appropiate for a 4 year old with a mild autism , possibly Aspergers ? He enjoys books but does not comprehend at his age level . He does not seem to understand the story of a simple book or it may be that he cannopt express himself well yet . He also has a mild speech delay (expressive) He is 4 but tested like a 40 month old in speech .

Anyone has experienced Sonlight with children with mild learning disabilities or autism spectrum disorders? Any other curriculum that works for these children?Sonlight and mild autism / PDD-NOS?
On the Sonlight forums, there is a whole group of moms with special needs kids who use Sonlight. And I would also ask over at the homeschool lounge too. http://www.thehomeschoollounge.com/

Best of Luck!

Jana

http://www.purehomeschooling.com/Sonlight and mild autism / PDD-NOS?
I have 2 with high function autism/Aspergers. I cannot speak for your child but mine would crash and burn with a heavy literature based curriculum like Sonlight.



My oldest Aspie is a left brain learner and absolutely loves School of Tomorrow, Switched on Schoolhouse and Lifepacs. My younger Aspie is a right brain learner. We still use the same materials but I teach them using a white board, colors and various right brain techniques.Sonlight and mild autism / PDD-NOS?
I operate a homeschool academy that specializes in assisting parents of special needs children with their homeschooling. This year I have seven students who are in the Autism Spectrum. The majority of the students do very well with ACE (School of Tomorrow). One family is trying Spectrum, but it is tough and from the sound of it they will be switching back to ACE for next year. Another student is using Rod and Staff math, which I don't recommend trying due to the fact that Rod and Staff is hard-back and many students in the Autism Spectrum have a hard time writing answers on a separate sheet of paper rather than the workbook style.

No comments:

Post a Comment