Monday, January 30, 2012

What are the chanves of having another child with autism?

I am mother of two children both with autism. I am divorced from their father and now I have a new partner. If I have a child with my current partner whom I plan to marry, will our baby have autism as well? Both my kids have pdd-nos but I am no longer with their father.What are the chanves of having another child with autism?
Such and hard question too answer, although i have been told your chances are so much higher if you already have a child with autism. My twins took part in a study in to autism because one twin has it and the other doesn't. I often wonder if i had twin boys would they both be autistic ?

they couldn't answer me so chances are yes you may very well have another child with autism
My oldest son.. no autism ...fully vaccinated (hives from eggs in vaccines..thats it)

7 yr old...has autism...at 18 mths after MMR... lost all words

3 yr old...He only got his 1 yr vacc... I stopped them when I realized my other son had autism and not a speech delay. NO autism...super smart

Report Abuse

What are the chanves of having another child with autism?
I believe it is currently reported as an increased risk of 10%.



Some details are available at:

http://www.autism-pdd.net/autism-researc鈥?/a>

http://www.aan.com/professionals/practic鈥?/a> (notes it as 10 to 20%).



Keep in mind there is a lot they still don't understand about the genetics of autism.



What else one MUST take into consideration is - is the autism caused by a known genetic condition? Two conditions that will change the risk factor are:



Angelman Syndrome www.angelman.org

Fragile X Syndrome - see sources below



With fragile X, with each pregnancy the women carrier has a 50% chance that the child (male or female) will have the mutated gene. The females are not at as great a risk of being affected if their other X chromosome, without the mutation, is dominant. You could rule Fragile X out by simply having a Southern Blot DNA Test with PCR analysis. When males are carriers it's a different ball game, they will only pass the gene to their daughter(s), and their daughter(s) will only be carriers.



Hope this answers some of your questions. Please do consider genetic testing to rule in or out genetic conditions, research with possible treatments coming down the pipeline, has really made progress for fragile X in the last five years.
I'm in the same exact boat as you are. My son was diagnosed with PDD-NOS. He is clearly autistic. I'm pregnant again with a boy but by another man. I was told that this baby has the same chance as being autistic as my first born. I was told in each pregnancy there is the same chance. Just because you have two already on the spectrum the third might not be.What are the chanves of having another child with autism?
well the kirtons have 6 autistic kids about 1 in 150
sad to say but its like rolling the dice

No comments:

Post a Comment