Monday, January 30, 2012

Parents with kids that have Autism/PDD-NOS...?

My son was given this diagnose in Feb. of 2008 and every since we have had him in some kind of special program. First it was Babies Can't Wait and Letoket(which he is still in) to Speech Therapy to special needs pre-k, with both normal 3y-o and kids with special needs. And during this time he has improved a whole lot, from not being able to put three words together to making a hold sentence. And I just want to know, do kids with this diagnosis every become normal?

On this coming Thursday I'm taking him to a child neurologist and I plan to ask this question and many more but, what other question should I be asking when I go?

Another question I wanted to ask you all was, when you had your second or third child did he/she have some form of Autism?

Any advice would be helpful, thanksParents with kids that have Autism/PDD-NOS...?
ok, I am on the autistic spectrum, so is my dad, one of my brothers, and all 3 of my sons. Also the kids have an aunt on their dad's side. Apart from my kids dad's sister who is low functioning, we are all functional.



My dad is aspie, dx in 1950, he's a psychologist.

I've been dx. autie/aspie 7x, graduated from college, married and had three kids.



Normal, hmm, no. My dad shows very little emotion in his face, and has a very dry sense of humor. He is aloof most of the time. He did marry 3x, is close to none of his kids or grandkids.



Self-I notice most differences on the phone, like I don't know when its my turn to speak and find myself interrupting a lot. Making friends, its pretty rough. I have few friends and have been fired more times than most entire families despite always being excellent at the job. I am twice divorced @ 38. I have a lot of sensory issues, motion sickness, I read slow, but have a high IQ.



Brother PDD.NOS. Has a lot of aquaintenance type friends. Works on computers for a living. Texts a lot, facebook, rarely calls people.



My sons' oldest age 10 PDD.NOS. Has friends, struggles in school. Still gets speech therapy and OT. He talks incessantly, has difficulty staying on topic. He talks at you much like my father. Doesn't matter what the recipient says he continues with his thought process and doesn't respond to you.



Middle son dx PDD.NOS but is very aspie like. Prefers things to people, very bright, likes adults over peers. He is 5.



Youngest currently dx with autistic spectrum disorder, I feel its more bipolar. he is 4.



Listen take a neurologists opinion as you would a grain of salt. I've been told that I was retarded and would never make it in public school, my oldest that he wouldn't talk or be pottytrained or be in a regular ed setting, never be anywhere remotely independent, my middle that he would never walk, my youngest that he would never be able to swallow thin liquids. AND none of these things are true.



My oldest can tell time, make change, do laundry, make simple meals, take a shower and change his clothes independently, go around the block to a friends house, come home ontime by a watch and I was told he would never ever be able to be out of an adult's sight. He reads and writes.Parents with kids that have Autism/PDD-NOS...?
I'm not a parent but was dignost with atisum when I was little I still have it but knowone can tell now that i'm a older. I didn't walk or talk till I was almost 3, I couldn't read or right till I was 7 or 8 and that took hours of countless toutering for me to even know how to sound out words. I couldn't ride a bike till I was 10 and well I was affraid of people outside my family and I couldn't or wouldn't try to do normal things on my own but I've cought up.sure I'm still in a spechal English calss but I ride bikes, I talk nomal and all the time I'm a sright A studnt and I plan on becoming a teacher and my doctors don't see any problame with that tand well I really seen normal even if I never really will be so he could. Bottom line the doctors told my mom I wouldn't be the same but she didn't give up! She made sure she pushed me and did every thing she could. Speach therapy,a tuttur to read and right but my spellings still bad, and any kind of group she could put me in to become soclised ( girl scouts,sports, church events ect.) And the bigest thing she did was help me to be indepedint.

What would a "normal" child his age do dress himself if he can't show him how then let him try sure it he may spend 15 minutes putting his pants on and probably give up but aftet a few or alot of trys he may start to get it! I know it's gonna take longer to learn things but if u push him to try he might progress so if the doctor says he won't don't give up. PLEASE I wouldn't be where I am today if my mom lisented to that doctor and if he dosent get better u did your best and that makes u a great mom!!Parents with kids that have Autism/PDD-NOS...?
It depends on how high functioning your son is. Each case is different. That said, there is never "normal" for an autistic child. So, get that out of your head. Your son is what he is and you should accept him for who he is and stop trying to change him.



I am a teacher and I work with special ed kids. I have 3 on my load right now. One in 5th grade, one in 6th, and one in 7th. As they hit puberty, autistic children tend to regress. That's the "norm" for autistic children. Our fifth grader has a stutter, tends to get very emotional when things don't go his way, and he fixates on things when they go wrong. That said, he is about a grade level behind in reading, and two behind in math. Socially, he is about a second grader. Our sixth grader cries and whines all the time, is violent with his peers and to his parents and teachers, but is completely academically at grade level. Socially he is about a 4 or 5 year old. His vocabulary is advanced, but he cannot express himself appropriately. Our seventh grader stims, hears voices, throws himself against the wall, but is at grade level. He also tells knock knock jokes and is pretty much the coolest kid I've ever met.



That said, a neurologist isn't going to be able to tell you anything about your child's autism. They're going to be able to tell you if your son's brain is normal sized, if he's having seizures, that sort of thing. You should be taking your son to a child psychologist who specializes in autism spectrum disorders. The neurologist may be able to give you a referral. An occupational therapist and a behavioral therapist would be a great asset to your son, as well. These people will be able to help you relate to your son, will be able to help your son prepare for school, and will help him develop lifelong learning skills and life skills in general. These are all things a neurologist cannot do. A neurologist can look at scans and can answer data questions based on statistics, but cannot answer questions based on your child's behavior without studying your child and spending time with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment