Monday, January 30, 2012

What is the chance of conceiving an intellectually disabled child if the father has pdd-nos?

I'm not pregnant but my friend made me think about this as my partner when he was a child diagnosed with pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified with a slight retardation of his neurones causing shaking in his hands.



I myself was identified by my doctor as having ADD but was never formally diagnosed as my doctor moved so I was given a different doctor.



taking that on board what is our chance of having intellectually disabled children and will they be the same or worse than their dad (my partner)What is the chance of conceiving an intellectually disabled child if the father has pdd-nos?
No better or worse than anyone else. But the two of you have a better chance of raising a child with a disability well because of your own experiences.
you do have an increased chance--PDD tends to run in families--and there is an increasedrisk of cogntive impairment with PDD--although many people with PDD do have average to above average intelligence-



i don't know the statistics on a person with PDD having children..but if a parent has 1 child with PDD--thae chance of a 2nd child having PDD is about 4%-----higher than the general chance of about less than 1%..



there is no way to tell if they would be better, worse, or teh same as teh dadWhat is the chance of conceiving an intellectually disabled child if the father has pdd-nos?
If it Generic disorder it could depend how it get passed on.



Thing like colour blindness are passed most time from the father the daughter most times becomes a carrier. Then she can pass it on to her son, (50%) or if her partner also colour blind her daughter (25%).



As it carried in the X c. One good X would dominate over one bad one. Females are 2 XX from both sides of the family. Male only get X from their mother size.



I don't know about PDD.
Your safest bet is to get your G.P. to refer you and your partner for genetic counselling. That way you will have the best information and advice.What is the chance of conceiving an intellectually disabled child if the father has pdd-nos?
You really need to know more about what might be genetic, and you will only find those answers by talking to a genetic counselor
Higher than your average bear.
Agree with just me. The chances would be increased, but not by alot, if the average population is around 1 percent to 1/2 of 1 percent, you'd be looking at 3-8 percent at least. What do other family members look like/have? Any bipolar, dyslexia, giftedness, allergies, asthma, eczema, ADD/HD?



My family is loaded with all of them, and we all have something.

My father is asperger's (psychologist, gifted, married, 4 kids)

My brother ADHD (mild, meds for 3 yrs, college student)

My brother PDD.NOS (35, single, college educated, IT)

My mother, bipolar, anxiety (retired, married, 3 kids)

My sister dyslexic

Self-dx autistic disorder at 3 yrs old, later dx asperger's, dyslexic, and gifted (married, college ed, 3 kids)

Niece-(sister's) PDD.NOS age 3

My 3 kids 8 yr old, PDD.NOS, ADD.NOS, dysgraphia

3 yr old PDD.NOS, gifted

2 yr old ADHD



Also my husband is bipolar (functional) his sister and mother are too, his other sister is low functioning autistic



Also my niece's father's family has hx of ADHD, dyslexia



If yours and his families are loaded with these issues like mine, I'd say up to 30 percent for a boy, much less for a girl, though the place on the spectrum you can't predict



You really don't have much of a history at all, I'd say the chances are only slightly more than average at 3-8 percent which means 92-97 percent chance of not having a child with the PDD issue



Obviously this is just a guess, and I should tell you that my own opinion is much less optimistic than what any genetic counselor, neurologist, psychologist will tell you. We went through all this after our oldest was diagnosed, we were told that we would have to have 6-7 kids to have another one on the spectrum, yet the very next child that we had is on the spectrum.



The PDD's are poorly understood, and it is not known what the genetic link is, however in my extensive research on this subject, I have seen a correlation with being born in winter, excessive rainfall, vaccines, Rh- mother, recessive traits (my son has green eyes which only 1-2 percent of the population has), left handedness, allergies, dyslexia, bipolar, giftedness and ADHD. And there is the accepted correlation of increased risk by being a boy.



This is further corroborated by the short video online Einstein and the autism connection. Einstein speculated as having high functioning autism, has a family history significant for allergies, dyslexia, giftedness, ADHD, etc.
  • sprinter
  • sea doo
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment