Monday, January 23, 2012

How can I teach a 4th grader with PDD-NOS (Autism Spectrum) to Read?

I am a certified special ed teacher and am well trained with working with children with ASD. However, I am soon to be tutoring a 4th grade boy w/ PDD-NOS on reading, spelling and comprehension. His mom said that he has no memory for words in that you can teach him cat during a session, and the next day he'll have no idea what it means. Additionally, he cannot spell even one word - not even his own name. Any attempts to teach him a system of learning has failed thus far. His mother does not want any reward system in place, so I must be compliant with this. Also, he is home schooled but was in public school and could not "get it" there either due to his teachers trying to teach him phonics by using nonsense words and blends that weren't part of actual words. Any tips? I would love to see this young man learn to read, spell and apply those skills successfully. Thanks!How can I teach a 4th grader with PDD-NOS (Autism Spectrum) to Read?
Wilson is good fro children with learning disabilities like dyslexia--



it specifically states in teh instructors manual that it is not appropriate for certain groups of students -i beleive austism is one of those--



but as the spectrum is so wide--it may be an option--if teh child also has a learning disability that wilson is geared to..



look into what has been tried before-



I have had success with Edmark and Dolch sight words with children with ASD..



Edmark breaks things down and is repetitive--and has good activities to go along with it-------some similarities to ABA discrete trial
I thought that special ed teachers went to college to learn HOW to help a special learning needs child?

Asking on yahoo board is not a good idea because a child such as this needs scientifically based programs taught by highly qualified and trained teachers, and you won't find that here on yahoo answers.



Are you sure the school did all they could to try and teach him, or were they lacking and didn't bother? The latter is what usually happens. How can I teach a 4th grader with PDD-NOS (Autism Spectrum) to Read?
for the woman who said the wilson program i have to agree its worth a shot and this comes from a mother of a child with aspergers and non verbal learning disorder specificly reading.Now he is in the 10th grade mainstream reading memorizing and on honoroll.
I just completed a training on the Wilson Reading System. This is the big thing in my district right now along with Response To Intervention. I'm using the program with my students this fall. Basically, there are several different steps to the system. Students start on step 1 and move through the steps as their reading abilities improve. They have a program called Fundations for students who are younger or have no concepts of letters or letter sounds yet. It is similar, but focuses more on the basics of learning to read. There are trainings you can take for Wilson, but Fundations is sold with a CD that teaches you how to teach with the program. They are fairly expensive, but maybe the family would be willing to purchase the program. Here is the website:

www.wilsonlanguage.com/

I have also used reading A-Z with my elementary students. You purchase a subscription to an on line program and you can print off leveled books and worksheets focusing on fluency, comprehension, letter recognition, etc. It worked really well for some of my kids last year, but my kids with ASD had more trouble at first because it wasn't really structured.

www.readingatoz.com

Finally, I have also used EdMark reading program with some students in the past. I have mixed feelings about this program, but it is very structured and has worked well with some of my students with ASD.

http://web.riverdeep.net/portal/page?_pa鈥?/a>

My suggestion is to really research what is out there and work with the parent to find a good curriculum for your student. Good Luck!How can I teach a 4th grader with PDD-NOS (Autism Spectrum) to Read?
Sonday while a phonics based system is quite good and does not use nonsense words.



RE: Rewards - I suggest you tell the parent this - if someone had high blood pressure or was diabetic - you would not tell them not to take medications. Rewards have a specific place in the education of ASD students. A token system where the student earns points to acquire something or a preferred activity is a powerful motivator.



You know that and I know that - I don't thing that the parents have really paid attention to the WHAT of their students disability but want personal philosophies to supersede options available. If I were you (and this sounds harsh) I would walk away - they are not ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment