Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Adults w/special needs?

I have three beautiful children who all have special needs. My oldest who''ll be eight this month was diagnosed w/Autism, my younger son who is five was diagnosed as PDD-NOS and my littlest "daughter" who will be three is going through the process of being diagnosed through North Bay Regional center and going through all the assesments and IEPs and questions has really got me thinking of things I have done and problems I have had as a kid until now. Is there any assesments or services for Adults who have never been diagnosed?Adults w/special needs?
I am an adult Person With Disabilities (PWD).



I know that you meant well with your question but there are various PWDs (myself included) that considers the term "Special Needs" to be offensive.



There are PWDs (myself included) who associate the term "Special Need(s) with segregation and being separated from mainstream society in various ways.



In history, PWDs were either hidden from the public by their families or were put into institutions by their families.



As for assessments or services for adults who have never been diagnosed, talk to a doctor, or a social services worker or call or visit a Parent Training and Information Center (PTI). All of these sources should be able to give you suggestions.



***Both me and my adult child was born with various Disabilities.***



***Disabled And Proud!***Adults w/special needs?
Yes. Talk to the people who are accessing your children, they should be able to recommend where you should start.

No comments:

Post a Comment