Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Keeping a job while having a disability, can I do it?

I have a mild form of Autism Spectrum disorder (PDD-NOS to be specific). I'm currently on unemployment benefits as I was turned down for disability benefits. I live in Belgium and in my last job, my employer got a grant for hiring me. They still fired me at the end of my trial period and now I've been sitting at home for 6 months 'cause I can't seem to get a job. I'm only 24 and have had 24 jobs already since I started working 4 years ago, most of them temping "with outlook to permanent". I'm starting to despair here, is there any hope for me of getting a job and keeping it? Is anyone else in this situation?Keeping a job while having a disability, can I do it?
You live in Belgium...are you from an English-speaking country ?...because your writing is flawless, if English isn't your first language. If it's your second language, then you might want to try getting a job as a translator...if you haven't tried it before. While you're out of work, try not to stay home too much because that can lead to isolation and lots of despair and hopelessness.



Here in America I attend various support groups...they are very good to get to know people...and sometimes they are a good place to network about jobs...someone may know of someone or some organization who needs an employee. One of the support groups that I go to here is Connections run by NAMI, National Alliance on Mental Illness, a national organization that has chapters in every state in America. Even though in this Connections group, we all may have different mental health issues, it helps to get supported and give support to someone struggling. Have you checked out Belgium's mental health organizations for daily emotional support?...maybe they have something similar to NAMI. 24 jobs in 4 years doesn't sound too good but there's always hope. As Dr. Abraham Low (founder of Recovery, Int.)...we may be helpless but we're not hopeless. Good Luck.
How about making a living from your disability. My son has autism and I have already been to a couple of seminars where there were speakers who have autism, the National Autistic Society advertise their job vacancies on their website you could try there. Good luck and don't give up. Also you could try charity shop work to gain experience.Keeping a job while having a disability, can I do it?
hi my name is nativewomaanblue i'm from minnesota and yes you can keep a job with disabilitys over here it's good to work i know cause i know alot of people that have disabilitys i wish the very best for ya
Can you do a college course at home to gain more experience in another field so you may then have a qualification and you can then dictate to the next employer, i am sure many people on here will be proud of you for really trying Good Luck,Keeping a job while having a disability, can I do it?
All I can tell you that you just give me hope por my son with mild Autism, I want him to become independent one day. and reading you knowing that u know 3 language, god that makes me hopefull for my sons future...



God will help you.
All I can tell you is that in the USA, grants to employers to temporarily hire people with disabilities with the prospect of eventual permanent employment don't work any better than in Belgium.
do you have melwood or something in your country?



clearly you are good enough to type!
i was in a similar situation a few years ago when i left school but now im a full time actor in the theatre i have the exact same disability as you



anyone who refuses or fires you from a job because of your disability if you can prove that's the reason you can sue them under the disability discrimination act as denying someone for a job because they have a disability is a criminal offence



as for benefit fight the system don't give up they always give in



volunteer jobs show how good you are and you can use them as a Reference
I live in the US, and I'm around the same age as you and in a similar situation. I had to get work last year at a terrible vocational rehab facility and I've found myself applying for SSI (which in America is a form of disability income for disabled people who have trouble finding work or who can't work); and I don't know what type of welfare Belgium has but you may need to speak with your government about your case and get compensation. However don't let it stop you, try finding work and maybe go to school for a degree or training program.

No comments:

Post a Comment