Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Autism and dating. Should I reconsider?

I know this guy from my college and he has PDD-NOS. I am now starting to like him more than a friend and I know he likes me too in the same way. Should I reconsider dating him and back off from an "exclusive" title due to him having Autism? It is weird for me to say, but this is my paranoid mind ( Not literal paranoia) thinking "what if". What if we really do hit it off and stay together and very much later on get married and re produce? It is a HUGE struggle to have a kid(s) with Autism my chances of having a "special needs" kid goes way up. From what the guy I am seeing told me is that his child hood was a nightmare. He would get into fights, had troubles with just about everything socially, and intellectual wise. I would consider him, a man at 22 more like a boy at 19.Autism and dating. Should I reconsider?
if you really like him, it should not matter. It may be a challenge to be with him at times, as it is with anyone, but that's part of relationships. Ok, reguarding kids, you don't actually have to have them yourself. Adoption is a beautiful thing.Autism and dating. Should I reconsider?
be sure of your feelings. how much do you like him? if you like him despite any of his imperfections such as his Autism then I'd say go for it. just recognize the kind of lifestyle or struggles such as children, etc, you may go through in the future if you decide being with him is what makes you happy.



(then again if he makes you happy and you love him i guess you wouldnt really mind)Autism and dating. Should I reconsider?
Just do whatever you want. if you like the guy, then of course you should date him!



Let's just say as of right now he doesn't have an autism. Would you date him as he is? If the answer is yes then go for it.



And there is always adoption. Well, it's not as "big" as you giving birth to your own child but that's always something to consider.
In my opinion, the purpose of dating is to see if you want to marry someone. If you are considering whether or not you want to be with him, think of a few factors: 1. I believe, as do may others, that autism is genetic. if you plan to have kids, this will be a possibility. My husband has autism, and we have 3 kids with it. My friends hubby has autism, and they have 3 kids-1 with it. you could always adopt, and if he hated his childhood, he may be for that. 2. as the other poster said, if it wasn't for the diagnosis of autism, would you still want to be with him? you love who you love- despite all. gay or straight, black or white, fat or thin, special needs or not. Its all up to you. had I known at the time we had a chance of having kids with autism (we got married very young, and didn't know hubby had autism till our first child was diagnosed) I donno what I would have done. thankfully, our kids are high functioning. however, the functioning level of the parent has nothing to do with the kids. unless you ant your own bio kids, ii say go for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment