Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Dealing with feeling of injustice? (autism)?

I have PDD-NOS, a disorder on the autistic spectrum. I know that I can be really obsessive about things. I've had problems at work. I'm doing a PhD and didn't think the supervision was enough. I wanted for example another expert in my field to jointly supervise and discuss the problems. I asked for a meeting with the supervisor and the department boss. My supervisor wasn't happy with the criticism. In the next meeting I was told that if I didn't change my work and do what my supervisor asked- I would be fired. Basically none of my criticism was taken seriously at all and instead I put myself in line for being fired.



Now I know, and am learning that people don't take criticism lightly. But I can't stop obsessing about what I think is unethical treatment by people in power. This is not a small organization - But a large one. But the need to fight against (what I feel is) injustice doesn't help me. I could never prove that my criticism triggered them to fire me--If they decided to fire me. These people in power will do anything to sweep criticism away from them- and is probably how they got to their position in the first place. Maybe it's an autistic thing to think fairness should be fought for- but the non autist would accept the facts and 'play' the game needed to change things.



And I am learning 'the game'. I'm amazed how my supervisor can be influenced by bringing the right people with certain opinions into the discussions. If I want to get something done -then talking purely about the subject matter may not do the trick. Instead I need to 'go past him' or see if I can find someone he finds important to support my opinions. And definitely making sure I'm 'friends' with the right person.



'Playing the game' conflicts with my need for genuinity, but I've noticed that it is very important in my work-field. Direct communication is definitely a 'no no' and expecting fairness is something I need to forget. I need to learn how to 'use' others by playing around a bit.



anyway that was it! Was this actually a question? :)Dealing with feeling of injustice? (autism)?
Yeah, I hate bullys, too. I finally got fed up and was able to open my own similar business that I did for 15 years, got fed up with that, too. Entered another field where I will stay until retirement in a few years.

No comments:

Post a Comment