Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Asperger鈥檚 Dx 鈥?Are you aware of this?

Asperger鈥檚 Syndrome will not be in the DSM V (it will be replaced by PDD (NOS), apparently).



Which is just as well, I think. This once comparatively-obscure condition seems to be affixed to many instances where it is not warranted.



The number of people that have not actually been diagnosed with the disorder, though think they might have it (or otherwise claim to) is unfitting; feeling awkward as a teenager does not mean you have Asperger鈥檚.



When I was a child, I had none of the interests other children had. I was completely different from my brother and sister. To this day I have never driven a car or used a Cell-phone 鈥?and I have no interest in doing either.



Some noises irritate me to no end 鈥?I cannot be around certain sounds, such as whistling and humming. My idea of Hell is someone standing near me snapping their fingers.



Aspergers Syndrome is lower on the autistic spectrum. Take a close look at those that are higher up, and see if you still believe that what you have is just a lesser form of that.Asperger鈥檚 Dx 鈥?Are you aware of this?
Yes I am. You should look at what they're doing to personality disorders (which are coincidentally, more controversial because nobody can figure out why personality is a disorder).



I guess I'll just comment on the rest because the question afforded only a one-word answer.



I cannot think of a reason for avoiding a cell phone if you use a regular phone. The term "mobile phone" pretty much sums it up.



I too have horrid, virtually uncontrollable reaction to certain sounds - particularly eating, typing, and high-pitched speaking. It doesn't mean I have an ASD.



Most people call Asperger's a "high-functioning" form of autism, hence the {higher up} version is less intense in symptoms. It's a confusing metaphor I guess.



Oh yes, and never driven a car? Good for you, I say.Asperger鈥檚 Dx 鈥?Are you aware of this?
I'm not sure what criteria anyone might be using to place Asperger's low on the Autism disorder scale.



I have 3 autistic sons and each of them have different levels of autistic limitations to their ability to be fully cognizant of events occurring here in reality.



My middle son has a lot of the symptoms of turrets syndrome, but he also has symptoms of Asperger's as well, so until a doctor can narrow it down to what his behavior indicates, we have to deal with his behavior as best we can.



I think you may have one of those phobias that are characterized by an aversion to certain things or sensory "overload", I don't know the exact name as it might be a fear of enclosed spaces which might account for the aversion to cars or cell-phones, but I'm generalizing here, so don't take what I'm saying serious as I'm merely guessing based solely on what few symptoms you listed.



I knew a person one time who was a big XTC fan and she couldn't leave her home as she had an extreme fear of open places, she was ok as long as she stayed inside.



I'd have to wonder if she had to be blindfolded to go to the doctor or if it was easier for her to go places at night when the sky perspective wasn't as expansive as it appears during the day?

No comments:

Post a Comment