Sunday, February 12, 2012

Is there any connection between the two?

My have a son, 27 months, recently diagnosed as PDD-NOS. My primary pediatrician arranged lead test for him when he was 25 months. And the last line of the interpretation of pediatric test report said: ZPP concentration: %26gt;=35 indicates impairment of the biosynthetic pathway. Anybody knows what that means? I did a little bit online research on ZPP data, one website says: "Iron deficiency anemia is known to impair cognitive and psychomotor development. The zinc protoporphyrin/heme (ZPP/H) ratio is a simple, accurate, and sensitive laboratory screening test that detects early iron depletion before the onset of anemia." Why my doc didn't mention to me at all?



I have always wondered whether one incidence I had during early pregnancy has caused my son's disorder...as from my reading, autism could result from the disruption of normal brain development early in fetal development caused by defects in genes that control brain growth and that regulate how neurons communicate with each other.



Two years ago when I was 11-week pregnancy, I had the first appointment in hospital for pregnancy blood test. I was instructed by phone to eat more than usual for the blood test in the morning. When I got to the lab, a nurse bound my right arm extremely tight and drew six bottles of my blood (5 bottles of average size, and one bottle twice size of others). The night after my blood was drawn, I couldn't fall asleep because I had an extremely sore throat, inflamed tongue and my lips cracked very badly, I drank one gallon of cold water and frequented the bathroom all night. For the following two weeks, in addition to these symptoms each night, I have had bad headaches and developed a very poor appetite, my diet is basically pure starch (wheat crackers) and water. I asked my doc whether I had anemia, he told me I was perfectly ok.Is there any connection between the two?
Most toddlers your son's age come up with low hemoglobin levels indicating anemia due to diet. Could your son's anemia be exaggerating some of his behaviors, definately.



Did you feel bad during pregnancy due to anemia, possibly, was it exacerbated by blooddraws, doubtful. Those vials really aren't that much blood compared to 6-8 pints in the body and while pregnant blood supply increases 150 percent, and taking prenatals while pregnant it is unlikely that your hemoglobin would have been that low like 10 or less.



Is it possible that the needle used to draw blood introduced a virus into your system causing your son to have PDD.NOS, yes. The timing is correct at the end of the first trimester is when neurological differences begin to be noted in the autistic spectrum childs brain and viruses are certainly causal.



Do I think that you being possibly anemic when pregnant and your son being anemic now caused the PDD? Not really, but I believe anything is possible.



Autistic spectrum disorders are autoimmune in nature, there is a correlation to a family history of allergies, eczema, bipolar, asthma, dyslexia, alcoholism, bowel diseases, cancer, Rh- moms', recessive genes-more than 75 percent of autistic spectrum individuals have either recessive eyes/hair or both. Rarely do you see a brown eyed brown haired person with full blown autism and even rarely are brown eyed brown haired people aspergers. There is a correlation with down's too, the AFP levels come up low for both while pregnant, and soft markers for down's are common with autism, low muscle tone common for both.Is there any connection between the two?
They're probably unrelated. There's no way to know for certain. If he's low on iron, he can take iron supplements which will solve the problems. It's reversible if caught, which it seems to have been. Don't focus on the past, focus on the present and the future. Iron is a vitamin, not something that is a genetic problem or something that can result from a virus.

No comments:

Post a Comment