Saturday, February 18, 2012

How many different opinions/diagnosis's have you had for you mental state?

To many Psychologists/Therapists/Psychiatrists opinions differ as far as diagnosis.I'm fed up as my teen has had to many different meds over the years and to many doctors disagreeing with each other whats wrong.EXAMPLE:Over the last six years he was diagnosed with one or more of these(ADHD,BIPOLAR,PDD-NOS,BORDERLINE %26amp; SCHIZIOD PERSONALITY,BACK TO BIPOLAR %26amp; ASPERGER"S,THEN NOT BIPOLAR-to DEPRESSION,CONDUCT DISORDER) Give me a break.!!! What's next? Will you determine my son has a yeast infection?I went to get him help,How is this help? I'm so done with these so called mental health professionals.No more of my money for visits so you can buy yourself or your family fancy cars,homes ect.!!!How many different opinions/diagnosis's have you had for you mental state?
Bipolar takes a very long time to dx. It first starts out with the depression and anxiety dx even some psychosis. So that may be the cause of the different ones but many of the disorders you've stated don't get dxed until the person reaches the age of 18.



Doctors use the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders which I believe is to be updated soon if not already. Here is a link to how it's used. http://allpsych.com/disorders/dsm.html



I'm Bipolar and feel the labels are much worse and confusing then the disorder itself. Although being a parent, I would imagine it being very hard to hear all these different dx. Then to handle your child trying different meds as they affect everyone differently and side effects are hard to handle. Read as much as you can on all meds.



May I suggest that you research as much as you can on your own and keep notes on his symptoms and changes in as many ways as you can. You almost have to be your own advocate to get what you want from a doctor. Asking the right questions helps and of course understanding what answers your given must make sense.



I wish you both the very best.



Take care and never give up!



CellaHow many different opinions/diagnosis's have you had for you mental state?
I don't know if you have tried this already, but if you haven't I would recommend having him treated at a long-term facility where he can be evaluated for a period of time that is substantial enough to get the proper diagnosis and medication. Maybe a residential treatment facility or something related. I'm just thinking that maybe if professionals could be around him for an extended period of time, they could get the whole picture. I have personally been to many different facilities and it really took for me to get to the right one for me to get better. I do agree that what you have been through is totally ridiculous since some of those disorders are nothing alike. Best wishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment