Saturday, February 18, 2012

Chances of someone inheriting schizophrenia from their parents?

My mom has schizophrenia, I never saw her being paranoid but it was bad when I was young and I don't remember anything. I'm just 14, my sister is at her 20's. What are my chances of getting schizophrenia. I think I am mildly autistic (like the pdd-nos type) and I don't really trust people so I guess you can call me paranoid as well but not much. I can tell reality from imagination but last year my mom found out my dad was cheating and things got pretty bad between them, they started fighting a lot and I became depressed. And then I used to talk to some imaginary characters, it really helped because I don't really talk to REAL people about my problems. I could tell them apart from reality and I didn't even see them there I just pretended they were there but I am pretty good at "pretending" so even though I knew they weren't there I had no problem talking to them and stuff. I guess you can say that they were the anima/animus type. I didn't say anything out loud I just moved my lips (for both them and me) and changed my facial expressions. I don't see them anymore but I like to pretend stuff. I imagine different situations all the time. I am a bit worried and I'm really rooting for schizoid..

What are my or my sister's (22 years old) chances of inheriting schizophrenia from our mom?

and I hope I posted this in the right categoryChances of someone inheriting schizophrenia from their parents?
Autism is a form of neurology (commonly called a disability) that one is born with. It has a strong genetic component and runs in families, mostly on the male side. Fathers, sons, and brothers are more likely to have autism if one of the others do.



Schizophrenia is not considered a neurological disability; it is classified as a mental disease. It usually occurs after childhood. It has more to do with chemical imbalances in the brain, abuse, or traumatic brain injury than with the basic wiring of the nerves that we are born with. Thus, the genetic component for schizophrenia is much more limited than in autism. However, there may be family related matters that contribute to a second family member developing it due to common environmental issues, such as lifestyle, abuse, or trauma.



Note:

Historically, these diagnoses were lumped together. Even today, there are two major movements ongoing that are respectively promoting the merging of autism and Aspergers diagnoses as one condition (for clinical convenience) and renaming autism as Childhood Schizophrenia. Neither of these movements have their foundation in genetic research or neuroscience. In my professional opinion, both these movements are more damaging than beneficial to the public. Moreover, they confuse again the understanding of the distinctiveness of autism and schizophrenia by equating neurological disabilities with mental diseases.
  • pro comp
  • duplicolor
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment