Saturday, February 18, 2012

Finally having my second child. Recommendations for a 2nd time mom w/special needs child?

I've got a 7 (almost 8) year old son with HFA (High Functioning Autism/PDD-NOS). I'm pregnant with a baby girl. I know that many things have changed over the last 8 years. IE: no more drop sided cribs etc. I have purchased several things like: 3 Miracle Blankets, electric swing, Dr. Brown's Glass Bottles w/sleeves, many extra parts for the bottles, drying rack, crib w/no drop sides, sheets, mesh bumpers, Angel Care Monitoring System, onesies, pants, shirts.



I'm thinking about cloth diapering, but I don't know if I can find a daycare provider willing to work with me on this. Please note: I will NOT be breast feeding due to medical issues. And YES my son is excited to have a little sister.



Anyone have any recommendations for me?Finally having my second child. Recommendations for a 2nd time mom w/special needs child?
One thing that has not changed is that babies need to be held and loved. All the monitoring systems, swings, etc do not take the place of human contact but I know you are aware of that. You are taking on a huge challenge but noticing how you wrote here about what you need and your already procuring the good things, Im sure you will be successful. I imagine you already have planned to protect your daughter from your son since it will be such a huge intrusion for him. I hope you have a lot of time off before she is in day care.CongratulationsFinally having my second child. Recommendations for a 2nd time mom w/special needs child?
I would invest in an excellent baby carrier or wrap so that you can carry the baby and have your hands free for your older child. If you have a 2-story house, you might want to have areas for sleeping and changing on the main floor to reduce your time getting to the baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment