Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Question for parents of a child with Autism or even someone who they themselves have Autism?

My son is 6 years old and has Autism/PDD/NOS and I was wondering if and when your child or even yourself got to the points that your child or even yourself started to notice differences in yourself or did your child. What did you do to help your child and what if it was you how did you deal with it.



My son lately has been saying he has been feeling nervous and he didn't tell me as to why cause I don't think he really understood the nervous feeling until tonight. He said he knows he is different. I talked to him and we said a prayer to God as he drifted off to sleep.



I am looking to hear from parents or even someone who has gone through this and what advice or maybe some books that are out there to help us through this. My son was visibly upset tonight and has tears in his eyes. I wish as a Mom I could carry this weight he feels inside for him. I know that is not possible but if I could I would.



He said no one was picking on him. Just some gentle advice is appreciated.Question for parents of a child with Autism or even someone who they themselves have Autism?
I'm not entirely sure - I think it happened very gradually. According to my mom I began getting very frequent belly aches when I started kindergarten (at 4yo - where I'm from kids go to kindergarten for two years starting at 4yo). This was likely due to stress - no one ever found any physical problem. Possibly due to feeling different but not being able to express it. I know that halfway through elementary school I was quite aware I was different, but I don't recall any particular point in time that awareness came to me.



For one, you need to realize that as a parent it's normal to want to protect your child. It is just not possible (like you said), and it also isn't best for the child to be overprotected. It's something your son needs to learn to deal with. Being there for him is probably the best thing you can do. You could try to talk to him about times that you've felt unhappy about feeling different (everyone, no matter how normal, has gone through those moments). Talking to him about that would also help teach him the words to express himself. Then, also try talking about times that it was good to have been different, to show that it isn't always bad. You probably aren't different in the same ways that he is, but still - your experiences might still help him feel better.



You might want to consider talking to him about what to do if someone does pick on him - they may not be doing it yet, but there is a good chance that in the nearby future they will (I was made fun of on occasion in kindergarten (I don't remember much of kindergarten though, so I'm not sure how much), and a lot more in primary school. Then, middle school was terrible, but high school and beyond weren't as bad - kids eventually grow up).Question for parents of a child with Autism or even someone who they themselves have Autism?
There could of been a lot of reasons, he might of been over stimulated, or maybe he has a test coming up that he is worried about? It's really hard for Autistic children to get out emotion for example when I was angry instead yelling or throwing etc. I would cry and tantrum. So he could be mad at something. If your interested in books on Autism, there are a lot of Good ones like Thinking in Pictures by Temple Grandin. Im sorry, I know its not the best advice but its very hard to tell what might be wrong.Question for parents of a child with Autism or even someone who they themselves have Autism?
there are some books written for children about autism



one is all cats have aspergers....they are easier to find at barnes and nobles--they have a shelf of books on disability for kids--borders has them all mixed in...





one thing you can do is write your own book---maybe have some blanks that he can fill in--



use various emotions..with examples from his recent past...saturday was a happy day...i went to the park with dad and we say turtles.



sunday was a sad day...grandma went back home.



monday was a nervous day. my belly felt funny. i wasn't sure why...what made me nervous...could it be teh scary dark cloud, the angry dog, or _________________________
  • used car values
  • battlefield 3 forums
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment