Sunday, February 12, 2012

Best schools in GA for special needs 8 yr old with IEP?

We are interested in relocating to GA from NY. My son is diagnosed PDD-NOS and has been receiving services since pre-school. We are currently researching Gwinnett and Forsyth counties. I am overwhelmed with the number of schools within the two counties and would like to know if some elementary schools are better then others to best fit his needs. Also if these two counties are not seen as good for special ed, what others might be? I am not too concerned with location since I work from home and do not need to deal with a commute. Thank you!!!!Best schools in GA for special needs 8 yr old with IEP?
All public schools are required to provide appropriate accommodations for students who are identified as being eligible for special education services. There is no 'better' school/school district.



Because special education is a federally-required program, the local school districts and states are legally obligated to appropriately educate every student irrespective of severity/type of disability which the student has.



It is illegal for them to decide what they will accommodate/if they will appropriately accommodate a disability.



The public school system must successfully accommodate all types of disabilities---the thesis of special education in a nutshellBest schools in GA for special needs 8 yr old with IEP?
I am in GA. Sorry to say, but I haven't found any school that is good in GA. Or in the whole USA for that matter. I've had lots of experience with helping parents for over 10 yrs now from all over the country. I have not heard of ONE school that is ok.

I have dealt personally with schools in Pike, Columbia, Spalding, and state blind school in Macon for my kids and grandkids. ALL of them were HORRIBLE with special ed.

As for Forsyth county, A couple of years ago there was an article in their local paper about the way they treat sped kids, abusing them, etc. I wish I could remember the link to send to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment